Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bed Time


All is quiet and they are resting for a new day tomorrow, hopefully that will be the day the newbies give us some eggs ; )
As you can see from the picture we have winterized the henhouse. In the summer it can get very hot, so we remove the back middle panel of tin. It has chicken wire to let a nice breeze in. Above that panel is still a open space to keep it ventilated, as well as a window in the front that I can raise up or down when needed. It also is reinforced with some chicken wire. In the winter it is slightly cracked open to allow for ventilation and an extension cord to come thru for the red heat light. You can see it hanging as well. It stays hanging there year round. Its not cold enough yet for the light to be on though.


Those are some of the newbies in the forefront of the picture. I added that extra perch just recently. They have seemed to wanna roost in the nestboxes....(poopboxes) here lately. Such and aggravating task of having to replace the hay in the boxes every couple of days because of all the poo! I was using leftover lattice trim we had to cover the boxes up, that didnt work long though.



So last weekend I asked the hubby about some scrap tin we had out back..he measured what he would need. We went and looked at what we had and we had plenty to do the job.
I was very happy. They chickens werent though ; )
I only uncover the bottom boxes every morning(not enough laying to bother uncovering both) and I cover the boxes back up every evening. Its so  nice to have clean nests again, even though we arent getting many eggs.  Hopefully it will pick back up soon.
Here's what hens we have: 14 mature layers (that are only giving me 3 to 5 a day)
27 new layers (will be 23 weeks this week)nothing yet
So thats 41 laying hens total, keep in mind this is only my BIG girls. Not counting my silkies in this.
Our BIG girl chicken breeds consists of:
3 Buff Orpingtons
4 Barred Rocks
6 Black Australorps
1 Cookies (white egglayer) thats her name
11 Redstar
10 Blackstar
6 aracauna's

Today we got 4 big eggs and 3 silky eggs.
Come on ladies I got lots of baking to do this week

Hope ya'll have a great rest of the weekend.

P.S.
My step dad is back in the hospital due to complications of his leg again. His surgery sight was continuosly bleeding. He went in yesterday and was admitted. They put him on antibiotics and wanna keep him a few days. Any prayers would be appreciated.  Thanks Ya'll

    
                 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that your step dad is back in the hospital. I just said a prayer for him and will keep you in our prayers.

    Your chicken coop looks good! I always hated the poopie nests as well and it was a big problem here. You've got a good idea there with covering the nests. I'm going to order chicks in the spring, along with some turkey poults so will have to try this.

    If I don't talk to you before, have a Happy Thanksgiving! Hugs to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put something up to make the next dark and they quit roosting on them. They can get in on either side to lay eggs but it has discouraged roosting! Your coop and chickens look good. I keep a low watt light going and mine keep laying especially my Ameraucanas. I was getting 3-4 a day and this last week it came back up to 7-10 and I still have some moulting..
    Sorry to hear about your step dad! I hope they figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ill be thinking about your step dad. Hope all turns out well.

    Btw excellent idea for winterizing your coop!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha' think about that? Feel free to leave us a comment ; )