Sunday, October 24, 2010

Found this just Tonight


Just minutes ago..I was on the back porch shining the spot light towards my critters, checkin on them as I normally do. As I was shining the light I saw a cat..not ours, must be a neighbors. But it was right in front of the hen house jumpimg at something. Then the something started to jump back, so I hollered at the husband..he came with a gun not knowing what kinda snake it was yet...As I walked with him holding the light..we happen upon this fella. Its a Coral snake. The saying we've always gone by is "red and yella will kill a fella, black on white he's alright".....or something like that. So hubs carefully picks up said snake just long enough for me to get a picture...I have never saw one of these before in real life..just on t.v. or as a hatband around someones cowboy hat....Anyway I got a couple of pictures and we walked to the edge of the woods and let it go...Just wanted to share my excitement and amazement of this lil snake. I am not a snake person at all...But the hubs said we werent going to kill it so I obliged, spot lighted him to the edge of the woods to let him go....I am thinking he was probably up here looking for mice that I have been noticing out around the hen house and around the shop...Who knows.

Got 8 eggs today from the big pen...the younger ladies still havent started laying yet.


4 comments:

  1. Love the new look! fixna find me a new one! Still no eggs here. put some new hay out today maybe that will encourage the girls to lay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a pretty snake... I'm not a snake person either, lol. They give me the willies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNAKE!!!! RUN!!!

    I struggle with the snake issue. My first thoughts are to run and get an ax but now I have learned the poisonous one in the area and the benefits of keeping the non venomous ones around... although, I always have that "OMG, its a SNAKE, RUN" reaction... I usually gather my wits by the time I reach the little corner market. ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm ok with snakes as long as they don't sneak up on me! We have big ole black snakes round here. They like to suck eggs and while they are beneficial for eating mice and rats and such, they can swallow down a dozen or more eggs in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha' think about that? Feel free to leave us a comment ; )