And below is one of the 6 araucana (easter eggers) I ordered back in June. They are 17 weeks this week.
Here is another one along with some blackstars and redstars..the solid white one in the back is a aracauna and the one laying down is also.

Heres a redstar and a black star....I need some eggs ladies, come on!!!
Heres a redstar and a black star....I need some eggs ladies, come on!!!
Here's a far away shot...you can see some of my older ladies as well.
As I said my pullets are 17 weeks this week, but these pics were taken a few weeks ago..so they are bigger today..they are growing great but not producing yet...I read that the Red/Black stars have been known to start laying as early as 17 weeks..They have seemed to start showing a little interest in the nest boxes, as they are getting in the box and scratchin' my hay out : ( Burns me up!
But their still younguns and I'm sure it wont be much longer and they'll figure it out.
So egg count yesterday was 7 biggens and 2 littlens(silky)
I have 14 laying hens already in the big pen. And 8 or 9 in the silky pen.
I let my mature ladies in the big pen out every evening to free range a couple of hours...they are no problem to put back in the pen...However, I do not let my silkies out at all...They are not as quick to get away and cant fly at all in case of a dog or other predators...Eventually when we completely fence our property I see no harm in it...Maybe ; )
Have a great day all....I gotta a few errands to run this morning!
Beautiful Chickens Trish! Hope they all start layin soon for ya. Your chicken pens are nice and pretty too, so clean.
ReplyDeletemine stopped laying altogether!!! makes me angry! UGH!! :) prolly need to buy some eggs from ya soon... lol
ReplyDeleteI just love Silkies! They are so lovely! I'm getting some pullet chicks in the spring.......didn't make it long without chickens did I? LOL!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jenn....Chicken pen is as clean as it can be for a chicken pen I guess...Time to clean the hen house out again though..I love the fact that it is a cement floor and I can spray the water hose in there after shoveling chicken poo..Lol
ReplyDeleteAnd to Dee(lovemyboys)....BUY eggs? Like I'd charge ya..although I do recall paying for a candle yesterday though..Lol ; )
Goodwife..thanks. Glad to hear you're gettin chickens again...personally I knew it was only a matter of time before you'd get some more..Lol
Maybe in the spring I can send you some silky eggs, if you're interested. I like mine too...to me they are like my "High Class" chickens....shhhh don't tell my other birds that though...Lol