Start by boiling 12 ears of corn..I only used 8 though.
These are some things you will need on hand.
After corn is cooked, scrape it off the cob and store kernels for a later use. I chose to store mine in a freezer bag. Now take your cobs and place in pot using 2 quarts of your corn water. Bring this to a hard boil and boil down for 30 minutes. Once it is finished, remove your cobs. Now measure out the remaining water to see how much is left (you may wish to strain it as well to remove any niblets of corn) You want to use cup per cup of sugar to your remaining liquid.
After you strain your juice add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and your package of pectin, stir and bring to a boil. Now add your sugar, stir until dissolved and bring back up to a rolling boil...stirring constantly boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat and ladle into hot sterile jars. Can them in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
Almost a gallon of corn that only cost me 1 dollar.
Hot water bath for 10 minutes.
The end result. Camera captured a darker color than what it actually is.
My result is that my Jelly aint Jellin'....I was quick to tell my MIL and she said some jellies can take awhile to gel. You can check out Suzanne McMinn's site and see her step by step as well..the link is above. I was really inspired to try this 1st off because I've nvr heard of it and 2nd off I had some corn in the fridge I just bought and last but not least she said that it taste just like HONEY...well the end result for me is, even though its nots Jelly yet is that Yes, It does kinda taste like honey...it is good! If it doesnt gel we will just use for syrup...Lemme know if you try it and lemme know how yours turns out ; )
I'll bet it'll go ahead and set up, but if it doesn't I'll bet it'll be yums on waffles, french toast, or pancakes!
ReplyDeleteCool...
ReplyDelete