It is really thick, so mostly its just to use for baking. I guess you could drink it if you wanted to. I love to drink buttermilk but this is way thicker than store bought, so I dont see me drinking any, just baking with it.
Ingredients:
*2 tablespoons of store bought buttermilk(after you make your 1st batch, you then use your homemade buttermilk to make more when you need to)
*milk- whole milk, no other
okay you take a quart size mason jar and add your 2 tablespoons of buttermilk
then you fill the jar up the rest of the way with whole milk...no lowfat or 2% or 1% stuff
you then put your lid on the jar and shake it up really well.
Next, you take your jar and put it in a cabinet..I put mine in my cabinet above the stove. Leave it there for 24 hours.
Then after that you should have a thick homemade buttermilk. You need to then put it in the fridge and its ready to use for anything that calls for buttermilk. Like I said it is thick so you will be spooning it out as needed. I cant wait to use mine.
This should be good for a week in the fridge.
Also, I made some yogurt as well. I have seen this recipe on several different blogs, so most of you have probably made it before or have the recipe. But I just thought it was really fun to make, and very easy and once I sweetened it up it was really yummy! Me and my youngest Son really like it!
Homemade Yogurt
I should add that this is made in the crockpot.
Ingredients-
*8 cups of whole milk
*1/2 cup of plain store bought yogurt( after you make your 1st batch you will use 1/2 cup of your homemade for the next batch)
Place you 8 cups of milk in your crock on low for 2.5 hours
Then shut off and leave alone for 3 hours
After 3 hours put in your 1/2 cup of yogurt, mix gently.
Put your lid back on your crock and place a heavy towel on top of the lid, to keep any remaining heat in. Remember your crock should be off at this point.
Now let it sit this way for 7-8 hours.
After this you will have your homemade yogurt ready for the fridge.
I put mine in half pint jars. I ended up with 9 half pint jars of homemade yogurt.
Me and the littlest one love yogurt but we dont like it plain, so when we was ready for a jar of yogurt we mixed in some fruit and a lil sugar and vanilla...that made it they way we like it!
This is much thinner than store bought yogurt, so next time I make it, I will strain it thru a cheescloth lined strainer before I jar it up.
Well there you have it...I had fun making the buttermilk and the yogurt. Its kinda rewarding to know that I can make these things now and save some money as well. I started a new batch of Sourdough Starter yesterday. This time I am not using the yeast in it. Just flour and water.
Day 1
1 cup flour
1 cup water
Day 2
Mix starter and add 1 cup flour and 1 cup water
Day 3 thru 7
mix and add 1 cup flour and 1 cup water
Day 8
make some bread!
The starter should be stored in cabinet for the seven days you are making it. After you make your bread or whatever you decide on the 8th day..add another cup water and flour and store in the fridge from this point. You will have alot of starter so you will be baking alot..I decided to use this recipe b/c I want to start making homemade bread on a weekly basis, so this way I always have starter on hand. Remember to always feed your starter anytime you use any. (1 cup flour 1 cup water)
***I also want to give credit where credit is due, http://www.keepingthehome.com/ is where I got the buttermilk recipe and starter recipe. I also got the yogurt recipe from there as well as http://momsservingchrist.blogspot.com/ ***
Thank you ladies for sharing these ; )
I've made the yogurt before, but not the buttermilk. I LOVE buttermilk, so I will most definitely try this. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI have never made either of these. When I need buttermilk to cook with, I add a little vinegar to sweet milk and it is buttermilk. Great for baking.
ReplyDeleteVery good post... that is the yogurt recipe I use too, lol. I'm the only one who eats it here and I do drain mine to make it thicker, I love it. I may try the bread starter, sounds good. We love the sourdough starter... can you just make bread with that? I fed it when I used it yesterday and put it in the fridge.
ReplyDeleteAre you referring to the Sourdough Starter you made the biscuits with Jen? I made pancakes with it as well, that I posted about.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you could use it in any recipe that calls for a sourdough. I am learning as well ; )
Glad to hear your gonna try it Anke, let me know how it goes ; )
I have heard of the vinegar added to the milk before too Gail : )..its really nifty to know, when you need buttermilk in a pinch. Its pretty much a buttermilk flavor though, the other is a real cultured buttermilk..you outta try it out if ya get a chance, its fun to make. I tell ya, I have kinda felt like a lil chemist trying these different starters and buttermilk and stuff, its really a neat thing to know how to do ; )
I want to try both of these. I love buttermilk pancakes. I need to find some organic flour for the yeast. Organic foods are not that easy to find around here.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for looking for the mg conversion. The oral antibiotic Kristine got was in a dry form and needed to be diluted in the drinking water. I will call around tomorrow and see if I can't find someone to help with an answer. I do know putting the wrong amount in the water would be less than helpful.
After cleaning the wounds with saline solution and betadine we put neosporin on and in the wound. Hope the hen is Ok in the morning.
I'm gonna make your buttermilk pancakes too! You've got me hooked on this sourdough starter now, lol I love it! Tonights dinner is gonna be chicken pot pie with the buttermilk biscuits on top =)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you like it. I cant wait til this other starter of mine is ready.
ReplyDeleteThe chicken pot pie sounds yummy..you oughtta post about and include the recipe ;)
I'm just makin tacos tonight...nothin very interesting...Lol