Sunday, January 16, 2011

My 100th post...Cool!

Wow this is my 100th post. I got to looking and this month marks 1 year I have been blogging. Wow! Well as ya'll knw the hubby came in Wednesday night. He got in about 7ish. We got to spend all day thursday together and then him and the boys took me to eat some seafood for my Bday. He had to leave the next day but,he didnt have to go til 1:30. So anyway I was very happy to get to spend the time we did with him. Obviously our planned road trip was cancelled due to him coming in. But I much rather liked it that way : ) 
So I've spent the rest of the weekend hangin around the homefront here and taxiing my boys to friends house and going back to get them. Last night I was home alone! Felt very weird, I was vacuuming my bedroom about 11ish last night...I was REALLY!
What wrong with that? I have OCD I guess, what can I say ; )

Its been rainy today, I was hoping to get out there and clean the henhouse, but that hasnt happened. Speaking of HENS, I have been keeping track of my daily egg count on my calender here and I just wanted to share the details, okay so here goes starting with last Sunday (cause thats when I started keeping tally)
Sun. 15
Mon. 17
Tues. 23
Wed.15
Thurs. 21
Fri. 23
Sat. 25
AND TODAY was 28 eggs!!!!
As far as the green eggs go, I am getting 1 green egg about every other day.
I'm really pleased at how well the new hens are producing. And the other girls are working hard too.
Okay, I was also gonna answer a few questions I've had lately.
Q. What is a fart egg?
A. its a very tiny egg in comparison to what the hen would normally lay.
Q. What kind and how many hens do I have?
A. I have 38 now that I discovered bout the roos, and lost a buff. The 38 big hens consist of buff orpingtons, barred rocks, black star, red star, easter eggers (americaunas), black australorps.
Q. what do I feed my chickens. and how much?
A. I feed Purina layena crumbles and  some scratch everyday. I also use more crumbles than scratch when I feed. Sometimes I  throw in some black oil sunflowers seed. I also throw in a handful of dogfood from time to time. They get any green scraps if I have any. you know lettuce etc; They get fed once daily...There main food is always the crumbles and some scratch. The others is just for treats!

I think that about covers the questions I remember reading. If I forgot any please let me know : )
Okay well thanks for stopping by, sorry no pics today, I was going to upload some but when I stuck my card in to download to the p.c. nothing popped up for me to import them..I have been having too many computer and printer issues latley.. I'll figure it out eventually I guess.

**edited to add: I go thru 100lb of crumble approx. every 2 and half weeks.
                               
                                       Until next time,

5 comments:

  1. That's a lot of eggs! Surely you don't eat them all. You must sell some.

    Do you think the feed actually helps with egg production versus plain old barnyard chicken feed? I don't have chickens, but I was just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your 100th post :)

    28 eggs... Thats great and Thanks for answerin my questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veggie Pak, yes I do sell them and give them away at times. I dont know about the plain ole barnyard feed. I guess you are talking about the scratch? The scratch isnt suppose to be the main supplement for feed. Its more of a treat from what I've researched. The crumbles have more of the nutrients they need to keep them healthy and it does support good egg production and promotes strong hard eggshells. The purina is also made with plant protiens and not animal protiens. Thats why I like it. As a keeper of chickens I am still learning myself. I love that I can get on here and share different techniques and ways of feeding and caring for my flock. I learn something new all the time from others as well. You should get ya some chickens, they are so much fun to take care of and they will reward you with their eggs. I love it! Hope I answered your question ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jen. How are your girls doing for you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your 100th post, happy late birthday and so glad you got some quality time with hubs! It's great you are getting so many eggs now! Somtimes when I put my picture card in my computer nothing pops up so I have to restart my computer and then it will work. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha' think about that? Feel free to leave us a comment ; )